Summer is the time when every housewife tries to hide in the jars as many tasty fruits as possible, which on a frosty winter day will remind you of the sun, the lush greenery of trees and grasses. Before canning, it is not only the choice of the most delicious recipes that worries, but also the question of how the preserves are preserved. Torn lids, spoiled contents, incomprehensible unappetizing sediment in banks - all this will by no means add to the mood on New Year's holidays.
Most often, such a nuisance happens not because of improper conservation processes, but for reasons related to one of the components - vinegar. The choice of this ingredient is responsible and complex, low-quality vinegar is able to cross out all the efforts of the hostess in a very short time.
The most popular ingredient for cooking homemade blanks.
You should know that it is ordinary table vinegar that will preserve wonderful conservation for a long time, improving the taste and making a small amazing sourness.
Get table (9% vinegar) by diluting vinegar essence (acid) in the proportions necessary for this. Manufacturers offer a ready-made product, but such a simple process can be carried out independently, adhering to the recommended proportions.
When buying table vinegar, you should pay attention to the label: the acid concentration may be weaker, which is not suitable for canning.
A prerequisite is 9%, if the recipe does not require a different ratio of percent acid and water.
Table vinegar can be alcohol. This type is preferable to use for the preparation of blanks. The taste of preservation improves (it becomes softer, vegetables acquire a delicious aroma and spicy notes), the contents are stored for much longer, banks explode extremely rarely.
Natural types of vinegar are obtained from apples, grapes, and other fruits containing the necessary acids. The label of such a product certainly contains information that allows you to find out what exactly is contained in the container.
If "Natural" or "Biochemical" is indicated - you can safely purchase the product without fear for the health of loved ones.
Often on the label of natural vinegar it is indicated that several components are included. This means that in the preparation of the product juices from different fruits were used, which will not only not spoil the taste during canning, but also add new flavors.
A small amount of cloudy sediment at the bottom of the container with vinegar should not be disturbing: this is inevitable, because the product is completely natural. Such a product cannot contain more than 9% acid, if when buying fruit vinegar the label says something else, it is better to refrain from acquiring dubious liquid, this can be not only fatal to the contents of the cans, but also cause harm to health.
Already from the name itself you can find out that it is made from apples. Such a product is very good for health, it is used for preparing various dishes or even in cosmetology.
For all its merits, apple cider vinegar is not recommended for use in canning.
Numerous reviews indicate that blanks are stored for a short time.
If the prescription for preservation requires the addition of apple cider vinegar, it is better to cook a small amount of salad or marinades so that they can be consumed in a short time. The short shelf life is offset by the amazing taste, canned tomatoes or peppers acquire a new vinegar-fruit aroma, which will disperse throughout the apartment in no time.
The main thing you need to know about such a product is the concentration of vinegar in it is very high - up to 70%. What does it mean? It is necessary to use vinegar essence with extreme caution; the marinade can acquire an unpleasant metallic taste or oil shine. This happens for one reason: this product is not made for conservation, it serves for technical purposes.
In order not to spoil the taste or appearance of canned cucumbers, when buying it is better to take an interest in the quality of the product, purpose, concentration.
If the recipes require exactly table vinegar, do not need to do it yourself, it should be diluted in the following proportions:
- 1 spoon of essence for 7 tablespoons of water (vinegar 9%);
- 1 liter of essence in 8 liters of water (8% vinegar);
- 1 liter of essence in 9 liters of water (7% vinegar);
- 1 liter of essence in 11 liters of water (6% vinegar).
Adhere to the proportions strictly, because it is the concentration that determines the shelf life of preserves and the quality of the finished product.
Vinegar is a useful product for the body, but can quickly and irreversibly spoil tooth enamel. To prevent this from happening, after lunch with homemade canned goods, you should brush your teeth, or at least carefully rinse several times.
You should not abuse preservation with a large amount of vinegar, even if for lunch your favorite peppers with vegetables.
In some cases, this supplement can stimulate liver or stomach disease. If the house already has family members with such problems, you can try replacing vinegar with other ingredients.
The use of citric acid for the preparation of marinade will hardly change the taste of preservation.
The ratio of citric acid and water to replace vinegar:
- 9% vinegar - acids 1 tsp. at 14 tbsp. l water;
- 6% vinegar - 1 tsp. acid at 22 tbsp. l water;
- 5% vinegar - 1 tsp. acid at 26 tbsp. l water.
Be sure to take boiled, chilled water. After preparing the acidic solution, you can take on the marinade. Sugar and salt are usually added as needed by prescription: citric acid does not require an increase in the weight of the components.
It's important to know
- It is imperative to remember that the shelf life of vinegar essence or simple natural vinegar is different. While acid will not lose its properties for more than ten years, a natural product should be used only for a few years. After this period, useful properties disappear, even if in appearance the vinegar looks quite suitable for use.
- It is not recommended to use essence in preservation recipes with mustard. Such a mixture may spoil the workpiece even before being sent for storage. Instead, it’s best to choose a different recipe or apply simple table vinegar.
- Acetic acid - residues from the production of fertilizers from natural gas or sawdust. Before using the product in billets, you need to think several times whether preservation with such an ingredient will be beneficial. Even if the contents of the glass containers are stored for several years, you should not risk your health when serving your favorite pickled vegetables to the table.
- If you can’t do without the preparation of acetic acid, you need to store it in an inaccessible place for small children. Such a concentrated product can lead to a painful extensive burn in a child if it gets on the skin, and if it gets inside the body, a fatal outcome is possible.
- Working with acid requires special attention and caution. If it comes into contact with the skin, immediately rinse the injured area with cold water; if the damage is serious, consult a doctor immediately.
Acetic acid is banned in many countries as a product for use in kitchens. Our counters abound with harmful products manufactured specifically for large-scale production. Before acquiring an essence, you need to decide whether to risk your health.
Vinegar for canning (video)
Using a few simple tips and interesting information, you can choose vinegar, which not only perfectly preserves the preparations throughout the winter, but also gives an amazing taste to cucumbers or tomatoes, does not harm health and cheers up the hostess due to the ease of preparing marinades with it.