For summer residents, aphids are the most dangerous and harmful pest for plants that are grown in a greenhouse. That is why there are many methods of combating aphids, which will be discussed.
Danger of aphids
Most often, this parasite is attacked by cucumbers, plums and other melons, as the aphids are attracted by the juice secreted by a young plant. In addition, the pest is able to secrete poison, which harms the shoots, because they die off because of it, it is almost impossible to restore the damaged culture. Also, aphids are a carrier of many viruses that can poison not only the plant, but also the soil. If you do not resort to any methods of combating aphids, then in one month of summer this parasite can cause significant damage to the garden, which is quite difficult to restore.
Basic rules for fighting aphids
- First you need to find out why the aphid decided to spoil the rich harvest of cucumbers. It should be remembered that multi-season plants are too tough for her, but young shoots are her favorite treat. So that the gardener needs to protect the newly planted plants;
- with regard to the reasons for its appearance, there may be many of them, but it is mainly carried by ants that feed on aphids;
- There is no universal method of combating aphids, since their colony is numerous and each affects a particular plant. Therefore, several methods should be applied.
Ways to fight aphids
Spraying the plant with a soap solution is a simple method of combating aphids and is suitable for cleaning all plants. The greatest harm to aphids is caused by ash (ashes from wood), which has a cleaning and antibacterial effect, and this parasite does not like cleanliness.
- water - 10 l .;
- Laundry soap - 200 gr.;
- tar soap - 100 g .;
- ash - 100 gr.
- Soap (household and tar) is dissolved in water.
- Now it remains to boil the ash. A liter of water is put on the burner and brought to a boil, ash is poured and boiled for another 30 minutes.
- After the mixture has boiled, it must be poured into a soap solution and mixed.
The described recipe will allow you to get rid of aphids once and for all in several procedures. In order to spray the plants, the solution must be poured into 5 liters. the eggplant and close it with the spray cap.
Despite the fact that the disinfectant solution is not a chemical, it can cause serious harm to the plant and even become a threat to human health. Therefore, you need to use them wisely. Most often summer residents use onion and potato solution, as they are more sparing for the plant, but do not leave an aphid a chance.
- onions - 30 gr;
- water - 1 l .;
- Laundry soap - 5 gr.
- The onion head must be peeled and chopped.
- Next, the onion is filled with water and infused for 5 hours.
- Now you need to add soap and strain the entire solution.
For a more concentrated solution, you can add onion peel.
- potato tops - 1 kg .;
- sulfuric soap - 10 g;
- water - 10 l.
- The tops are minced and infused with water for at least 3 hours.
- After the set time, the solution is filtered.
- Then soap is added and the solution is infused for another hour, after which it will be ready for use.
You must carefully choose potatoes and take only healthy tops.
Emergency Control Methods
If the aphid was taken by surprise, then you can overcome it with the following emergency methods:
- Russian vodka. You need to put a spray bottle on the bottle of the cheapest vodka - and the product is ready! Vodka works great on aphids as a disinfectant. But it is worth considering that alcohol can harm the plant, leaving burns on it;
- Coca Cola. As in the previous recipe, you need to put on a spray bottle and spray pests from it on the neck of a Coke. Due to the fact that this drink contains phosphoric acid, this fact explains the detrimental effect of Coca-Cola on aphids;
- milk and iodine. If, in equal proportions, mix milk and iodine, then you can get a lethal remedy No. 1 for aphids. Perhaps this method is the most sparing for the damaged plant.
Plants against aphids
Instead of solutions and sprays, you can use plants that can withstand aphids:
- garlic, basil, onions and fennel with their subtle, but rather specific smell can repel aphids. That is why these plants are often planted in the garden;
- petunia, viburnum and bird cherry are plants that perform distracting maneuvers. With their smell, they distract the parasite from the cucumber or tomato, thus preserving the plant.
Birds and insects in the fight against aphids
To defeat aphids, you can use the help of our smaller brothers and thereby protect plants from bullying with chemicals.
Insects eating aphids:
- ground beetle;
- wasps and bugs.
To lure one or another type of insect, a certain culture should be planted. For example, daisies with their smell attract ground beetles, and lacewings most like ferns. If there is no place for planting a new culture, then in a regular flower pot you can throw wooden shavings and an earwig is provided to the summer resident!
Birds that eat aphids (but this is more likely for an open area):
- foam wand;
In order to attract these birds to their plot, gardeners make small feeders. It should also be remembered that if you resort to such a method of treating the garden from parasites, you should forget about the use of various chemicals, as birds can suffer from this.
Cola to fight aphids (video)
Fighting aphids does not take much time and there are many ways to deal with it, which, by virtue, can be tested by every gardener.