Melon cultivation in open ground is more suitable for regions with fairly warm and long summers. However, the cultivation of new and very promising varieties made it possible to cultivate melons in the open air not only in the Moscow Region and in the middle zone of our country, but also in Siberia and the Urals. Cultivation of melon in unprotected soil suggests a seedling method of cultivation.
Melon cultivation in the Moscow region and in the middle zone of Russia
It is practically impossible to grow large-fruited medium-late and late varieties of melon in open-soil ridges in soil-climatic conditions of the middle zone, therefore only early ripening varieties and hybrids should be grown herethat are able to fully realize their yield potential.
Of course, the highest possible yields can be obtained only in protected ground, but also when growing outdoors, it is possible to grow a good crop of heat-loving gourds, subject to the following recommendations:
- careful and competent selection of a place for planting and growing melon, heat-loving culture is very important, so the site must certainly have excellent sunlight and be protected from gusts of wind;
- the soil on the ridges in the process of preliminary preparation should be deeply digged, all weeds and plant debris should be removed, and also humus or compost should be fed;
- it is also very important to allocate a sufficient planting area for the cultivation of gourds, since the standard norm, in accordance with agro-technical conditions, should be at least a square meter per plant;
- it is optimal to plant seedlings on ridges covered with a black mulching film, which will provide the root system of plants with the maximum amount of heat and minimize the time and effort spent on irrigation and weeding events.
How to grow melons in Siberia (video)
Landing should be carried out in a sufficiently warm soil and when warm weather is established. In the first two weeks, it is advisable to provide planted seedlings with a film cover in the territory of the Moscow Region, which will protect the plants from sudden cooling and traumatic sunlight.
Further care for the cultivated melon crop consists of standard measures, which include irrigation with warm water and feeding, removal of weed vegetation and shallow loosening of the soil. Also treatment of the aerial parts of plants with chemical insect-fungicidal agents should be carried out in a timely manner.
Melon cultivation technology in Siberia and the Urals
Almost the entire Urals and the territory of Siberia belong to the risky farming zone, so growing melons in open ground is a difficult and troublesome task. Since it is supposed to grow melon in unusual conditions for a thermophilic culture, then seed material is recommended to be hardened. To this end, the melon seeds that have been calibrated and disinfected must be lowered into warm water at 35 ° C, and then artificially lower the water temperature to 0 ° C. Such an event is held three to four times, a few days before sowing.
Of particular importance is compliance with agricultural technology, which involves the following activities:
- the formation of fruits is carried out on branches growing in the lateral direction, so the main stem should be pinched over the fifth leaf;
- correct and timely pinching activates branches of the lateral parts, which favorably affects the quality indicators of the crop and accelerates the ripening of fruits;
- it is not recommended to leave more than two or three actively growing lateral shoots, as this can adversely affect the formation of flowers in the leaf sinuses;
- after the set fruits have reached the size of a large plum, rationing should be carried out, leaving no more than one, the largest ovary on one shoot;
- pruning of the apical part on the lateral shoots should be carried out approximately a couple of weeks after normalization;
- irrigation should be plentiful and regular enough, with the use of warm, settled water.
How to form a melon bush (video)
At the stage of crop formation, gourds are fed every two weeks with fertilizers in the form of herbal infusions with the addition of wood ash. It is also important to observe the main feeding regimen.
The first fertilizer should be carried out a couple of weeks after planting melon seedlings in a permanent place, in open ground. During this period, it is best to feed the gourds with a solution of mullein, chicken manure or saltpeter. All subsequent feeding is carried out every two weeks with the use of complex fertilizers. At the stage of filling and ripening, watering and top dressing should be reduced to a minimum.
The best varieties
Summer in the Siberian region and in the Urals is quite warm, but very short, therefore, just like in central Russia, only early ripe and ultra-early melons are able to ripen here. In addition, pIt is recommended to give preference to varieties and hybrids that have maximum resistance to temperature extremes and other, most unfavorable external factors.
Tips & Tricks
It should be noted that many amateur gardeners have long and quite successfully cultivated melons in open ground, Guided by the following tips and tricks from experienced melon growers:
- crop rotation involves growing melons after such predecessor crops as cucumbers, onions, garlic, any kinds of cabbage, corn, spicy herbs, any winter crops, as well as peas and beans;
- It is not recommended to cultivate melon after any pumpkin plants, as well as tomatoes and carrots;
- It is desirable to grow seedlings immediately in water-soluble peat pots, which will allow you to properly transplant plants to a permanent place;
- moisten the soil weekly, using only warm water at a temperature of about 22-23 ° C;
- at the first signs of melancholy melancholy disease, it is recommended to conduct a three-fold treatment of the aerial parts of plants with Bordeaux mixture;
- For the treatment of adult plants from the most common sucking pests, contact chemicals are best used.
How to plant a melon (video)
It is important to remember that if a forced early landing of melon seedlings is carried out and the threat of freezing frost has not passed, then arcs should be installed over the ridges and a film or non-woven covering material should be pulled.