This beautiful flower is familiar to everyone. It can often be found in the summer months, bright purple flowers adorn the forest edges and more often. But few people know that geranium, which contains many useful elements, is successfully used in folk medicine.
Botanical description of blood red geranium
Belongs to the perennial Geraniev family, can grow up to 15 years. A rather tall, adult plant reaches a height of 80 cm, but its usual length is 50 cm. Straight stems begin to branch out into many others from the rhizome, their color is saturated green.
The root root system goes deep into the ground, the roots are knotty and fleshy. Leaves consist of several lanceolate lobules. Their color, the same as that of the stems, can turn red by autumn. It is this property that explains the name of geranium, since its flowers acquire a purple-pink hue (but some species have a crimson hue).
The beginning of flowering occurs in late May, in mid-July, the fruits begin to ripen. The average plant life is 12-15 years.
It is found in Russia and the CIS countries, in the countries of the Balkan Peninsula, in the Caucasus and Crimea.
The chemical composition of blood red geraniums
The healing properties of the flower are explained by the numerous beneficial substances that are present in the composition of geraniums.
- Organic acids;
- vitamin C;
- glucose and fructose;
- bitter substances;
- calcium oxalate;
- essential oils;
Features of growing geranium blood red (video)
The healing and beneficial properties of blood red geranium
- It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects.
- It is able to stop bleeding, contribute to faster healing of wounds and scratches.
- Relieves swelling and cramping.
- Relieves pain, even headaches.
- Restores the work of the kidneys and large intestine.
- Soothes the nervous system, helps eliminate negative thoughts, depression and fatigue.
- Prevents the occurrence of blood clots.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Normalizes blood sugar.
It is advisable to use a flower in the treatment of the following diseases:
- nervous disorders;
But it is worth remembering that the remedy is not a panacea for all diseases, but only helps to improve the effect with well-chosen treatment. Before use, it is necessary to consult a specialist and find out if there are any contraindications for use.
The use of geranium in traditional medicine
Fresh raw materials
Blood-red geranium is good because it can be used fresh. It is enough to pick the leaves in the required quantity and mash them in a mortar or garlic grinder. The resulting slurry should be applied to sore spots and fixed with gauze. It helps with:
- Toothache and headache, as well as joint pain;
- high blood pressure;
- joint problems
- otitis media.
Enough for treatment 10-15 minutes, after the mixture needs to be removed, the skin thoroughly cleaned.
Take a container of any volume, preferably a glass one. Pour fresh or dry raw materials, filling the jar 1 quarter. Pour the remaining space with vodka or alcohol. Close the lid tightly. Put the infusion in a dry and dark place, gently shake the bottle every 4-5 days. After 2 weeks, the healing product will be ready. Dilute it with water 1 to 1, lubricate inflamed areas with tincture three times a day. Keep it in the refrigerator.
Infusion for constipation
15 g of raw materials (crushed and dried) should be infused in 300 ml of water. After 8 hours, the drink will be ready. Take it in equal portions throughout the day.
Eliminates nervous disorders, acts as an antibacterial, destroys infections. Perfectly heals wounds. To prepare it you will need:
- 3 tbsp. tablespoons of raw materials;
- half a glass of vodka or 40 degree alcohol.
Mix the ingredients in a glass container and insist them for 1 week. After the vodka you need to clear the geranium. To use, dilute the liquid in water in a ratio of 1 to 4.
Medicinal properties of geranium (video)
It is famous in folk medicine for its positive properties. Compresses with water can be applied to the eyes (relieves redness and inflammation, and also eliminates bags and circles), eliminates tooth decay and bleeding in the gums, and heals skin wounds.
- Grind 10-12 leaves.
- Add 1 tsp. liquid honey.
- Pour 250 ml of water.
- Shake the mixture thoroughly.
- Insist 8 hours.
Filtering the product is optional. You can take it undiluted.
4 tbsp. l dry raw boil 1 minute in 500 ml of water. Then cover the dishes and cover them with a towel. Leave the broth for half an hour. After remove the geranium.
Take 1 tbsp. after eating 3 times a day.
In the root system of the flower is also a sufficient number of useful elements, so this a decoction can also relieve many ailments.
- 2 tsp dry raw materials, pour 1 cup boiling water.
- Boil the mixture for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Leave the brew for 1 hour.
- Strain and cool.
The tool can wipe the skin. It perfectly cleanses the skin and eliminates acne and redness.
Preparation of medicinal raw materials
- You can use all parts of the plant, so do not forget to dig out the rhizome of the flower.
- Choose a place where flowers grow far from civilization. Make sure there is no carriageway nearby! Pure geraniums will produce truly healing raw materials.
- Prepare the ground part in June and July, when active flowering occurs.
- Harvest the root system in September, after the seeds have ripened. It is then that useful trace elements are concentrated as much as possible.
- Do not collect the flower after rain or during dew. Geranium should be dry, wet grass can begin to rot before drying begins.
- Grind cooked raw materials with a sharp knife or scissors. Sprinkle the flower on a thin cloth or paper with a 1 cm layer.
- Choose a place for drying, it should be in the dark, in a room where air will constantly circulate.
- Stir the plant approximately every 3 days.
- Ready flower acquire a gray-brown color with a faint green tint. It should break easily. It will take about 2 weeks to dry.
- Store raw materials in containers with a lid. Shelf life is 1 year.
Contraindications and harm to geraniums
It is undesirable to use geranium during pregnancy or lactation. Check yourself for individual intolerance, for this it is enough to apply 1 drop of geranium essential oil to the skin and leave it for 24 hours. If redness, irritation and pain do not occur in this area, then there is no allergy.
Use caution on the basis of geranium with the following diseases:
- thrombophlebitis (if already present, then the flower is able to worsen the situation;
During the Middle Ages, many decorative flowers were used as food. Geranium was no exception, it was used as a seasoning. Its aroma excited appetite, and milk boiled with grass calmed and helped to fall asleep faster.
Varieties of geraniums (video)
The smell of a flower goes well with fish, meat, and also adds a spicy touch to desserts.
Blood red geranium has many uses. She can not only be treated, but also used in the preparation of any dishes.