Felt cherries are often found in orchards. Varieties of plants are very diverse.
Felt cherries were first grown in China. She is a member of the Plum subfamily. Wild plants are found in Mongolia, Korea, and China. As a cultural species, the tree began to be used in the middle of the 20th century. At this time, it began to grow in North America and Eastern Europe. At the moment, the cultivation of felt cherries is carried out in Russia and Ukraine, the care of the bush is simple. Numerous varieties of the species are grown in the Moscow nursery, you can compare the differences in their appearance using the photo.
Chinese cherry blossoms very beautifully. Harvest early. The view is great for the harsh conditions of Siberia. In appearance, the cherry is more like a bush. In length, it reaches 1.5 meters. If the care is good, the plant can grow up to 3 meters.
Felt cherries have rough and thick gray-brown branches. The kidneys are placed on short rods. On annuals they are collected in 3 pieces. Vegetative buds are located in the middle, fruitful on the sides. Fruit formations persist up to 4 years. Plant care is simple.
The leaves are wrinkled and small. Below the leaf blade there is pubescence, from above it is smooth. A distinctive feature of the tree is a dense crown.which you can see in the photo. That is why the plant is called “felt”. The pubescence is located on various parts of the plant - on the shoots, leaves, skin of the fetus, peduncle.
Choose a variety
Varieties are divided into three groups: early, late and medium ripening. They also differ in color. Color also varies: from red-black to white. Consider the most popular varieties, the care of which is simple.
- Fairy tale. Medium density. The fruits have a sweet and sour taste, weight up to 4 grams. The peduncle differs semi-dry separation. From the bush you can get up to 10 kilograms, plant care is simple.
- Children’s. A feature of the variety is the wide-oval shape of the bush. The fruits are dense. From the bush you get up to 15 kilograms. The mass of fruits is up to 4 grams. The taste is sweet and sour cherry.
- Fairytale. The fruits are sweet and sour. The bush is wide. From the bush you get up to 12 kilograms. The color of the fruit is maroon.
- Natalie. The variety is characterized by a wide crown. The flowers are large, pink, look very beautiful in the photo. The yield from the bush is 7 kilograms. The fruit weighs up to 5 grams. Indoor storage is 3 days, and in the refrigerator - up to 6 days without loss of taste.
- Harvest. From the bush varieties receive 12 kilograms. The description of the plant is as follows: a spreading tree, the mass of fruits is up to 3 grams. The taste of pulp is sweet and sour. Care is quite simple.
- Dark-skinned dark-skinned animal. A feature of the variety is short stature, the appearance of the plant looks interesting even in the photo. The taste of pulp is sweet and sour. Productivity - up to 7 kilograms per bush. The stalk reaches 0.7 centimeters in length.
- Anniversary. The description of the species is as follows: vigorous bush, medium thickening. The pulp of the fruit is juicy. Productivity - up to 9 kilograms. The mass of the fetus is up to 4.3 grams.
- White. The bush has a spreading crown. Productivity from a tree reaches 10 kilograms. Fruits weighing up to 2 grams. The peduncle is shortened - only 0.3 centimeters. Color matte white.
Of the ripe cherries, it is worth noting the oceanic Virovsky. The bush is compact, medium neglect. From the tree receive up to 9 kilograms. The pulp of the fruit is dense. The taste is sweet and sour.
Landing and care
Material for planting is often obtained vegetatively. However, seeds can also be used.
- Planting of seeds occurs in the fall, so that seedlings already appear in the spring. Between August and September, unstratified seeds are planted.
- In the spring, before planting, the seeds are stratified for 40 days. After they are isolated from the fruit, storage occurs under conditions that exclude drying, decay or fermentation.
- Landing is carried out to a depth of 3 centimeters. Sowing is 10 to 10 centimeters.
- Care consists in thinning the seedlings so that the plants have enough lighting. Feeding with organic and mineral fertilizers, watering and loosening of the soil are also carried out.
- As a rule, seedlings are grown so that a developed stem is obtained. As a result, the plant turns out to be 100 centimeters high.
- To obtain branched cherries, pinching is performed at a height of 20 centimeters.
- Applying a pinch at the level of 3 leaves, 3-trunk bushes are obtained in a year. They will be a great option for a climate with low temperatures.
- Reproduction can go and green cuttings. At the same time, high rooting is observed - up to 100%. Harvest 6-centimeter cuttings. There should be 6 leaves. The bottom 2 sheets are removed. You can additionally treat the cuttings with a root-forming stimulant. To speed up reproduction, three cuttings are planted at once.
Felt cherry care rules (video)
Other vegetative methods can be used, for example, rooting of lignified cuttings or layering.
Pruning Chinese cherries is an indispensable stage of care. It allows you to form a crown. Pruning is necessary so that the branches are strong, there has been an increase annually, and the crown is well lit. How to carry it out? Care is as follows:
- Annual bushes cut to 40 centimeters.
- In the second year, side branches are trimmed - by 1/3.
- You should get rid of excess branches in the central part of the tree in a timely manner.
- Trimming is done annually.
- In the spring, leave up to 8 strong shoots.
In adult bushes, anti-aging pruning should be done. First remove the branches of the first and second row. If there are a large number of branches, pruning is carried out for 2 years. Excessive pruning leads to freezing of the plant.
You may be interested in an article that talks about the types of tools used to trim bushes and trees.
Diseases and Pests
For a long time it was believed that diseases do not affect felt cherries if they are cared for correctly. But recently, the bush often suffers from a monilial burn, how it looks can be seen in the photo.
For the disease, the following symptoms are characteristic: leaves and flowers wither, and then the branch completely. A few years later, the bush completely dies. To combat the disease should be a 0.1% solution of baseazole. 10 grams are taken and added to 1 bucket of water. In cool weather, spraying should be repeated at the end of flowering. Affected branches should be removed.
In the cherries located in the lowlands, bark damage can be observed at the bottom of the trunk. Roots the neck of the neck. In the spring, the bush blooms as usual, and then begins to dry out. Low pruning helps with the disease. It is better to immediately choose a good place for the bush.
Cherry can suffer not only from illness, but also from rodents. To prevent their raid at the base of the bush, stretch the mesh. Poison baits fight mice.
Cherry Diseases and Pests (video)
Felt cherries are loved for their original appearance, delicious fruits and good yield. Several species stand out, they differ in maturity. Reproduction is by vegetative methods. Cherry requires pruning, watering and feeding. Pests are few, if we talk about diseases, the plant is not affected by them. However, you must carefully consider the choice of place for the plant. This will affect the development of the bush and its ability to bear fruit.