Apricot "Lel" is a second-third generation seedling obtained by breeders L. A. Kramarenko and A. K. Skvortsov as a result of free pollination work carried out almost thirty years ago. Authorship is assigned to the Main Botanical Garden. The self-fertile Lel variety can be grown in a single array, and planting pollinating varieties contributes to an increase in yield.
Botanical grade description
Description of the apricot cultivar "Lel" characterizes the fruit crop as mid-layer, with a height of not more than 3 m. The crown of the plant is quite compact. A distinctive feature of annual shoots is weak branching and moderate growth. Fruiting occurs on any type of shoots. The variety comes to the fruiting stage three years after vaccination.
Features and characteristics of the fruit
Apricot "Lel" forms rounded, slightly crushed fruits on both sides, the mass of which can reach 20-22 g. Sufficiently dense and elastic flesh of orange color is covered with orange peel without a blush and pubescence. On ripe fruits, a slight gloss is present.
The taste is very decent, delicate, sour-sweet. A harmonious combination of sugar and acid is characteristic. The stone is large enough, but it is well separated from the completely ripe pulp. The variety is characterized by sufficient winter hardiness, which allows it to be grown in the soil and climatic conditions of the Moscow region and neighboring regions.
Landing and care in the suburbs
The Lel apricot was especially popular in the Moscow Region, where it is grown in home gardening along with the most promising and very high-yielding varieties of this fruit crop. On the territory of the Moscow region, fruit apricot seedlings should be planted in the last decade of April, before buds open on the plant. When planting fruit seedlings of this variety, it is recommended to adhere to the following technology generally accepted for stone fruit culture:
- the area reserved for planting and growing fruit crops should be well protected from the cold north wind and not have high groundwater;
- the landing pit must be prepared in advance, adhering to standard sizes of 70x70 cm with a depth of 35-40 cm;
- young plants are planted according to a 6 × 4 m pattern, so a distance of 6 m should be left between rows and 4 m - this is the distance in a row;
- the bottom of the landing pit is necessarily equipped with high-quality drainage, which prevents stagnation of moisture at the root system and root decay;
- soil for backfilling should be represented by garden soil, humus and sand in equal proportions;
- it is recommended to add mineral fertilizers to the soil for backfill, the composition of which is enriched with potassium;
- in the process of planting, it is necessary not only to carefully distribute the root system of the plant along the pit, but also to position the root neck of the seedling about 5-6 cm above the ground level.
Planted plants should be watered, based on the calculation of two buckets for each fruit seedling. It is recommended to give preference to the purchase of seedlings on the formers, which reduces the risk of undermining, and also contributes to a significant increase in the indicators of frost resistance, early maturity and the total yield of the fruit crop.
In the future, one should strictly adhere to the agrotechnology of growing fruit stone fruits. The main measures for the care of apricot plantings are as follows:
- Every year, competent pruning of plants should be carried out, which will allow the formation of trees with a small-sized and unfilled crown;
- it is necessary to carry out timely irrigation measures with subsequent loosening and mulching of the soil;
- it is very important to carry out a systematic and complete removal of damaged and dried fruits, remove and burn diseased or damaged branches;
- in the winter, the hilling of fruit plants with snow to a height of 0.5-0.6 m gives a very good result;
- it is necessary to feed apricot trees several times during the growing season, calculating the amount and composition of fertilizer, based on the age of the plant, soil indicators and the phase of vegetation;
- every year in early spring, apricot trees are fed with any organic fertilizer, and in the middle of summer, preference should be given to full-fledged complex compounds;
- immediately before the start of leaf fall, it is recommended to spray fruit trees with a 3-5% nitrogen-containing solution, which helps to improve flowering and ovaries in the spring;
- in the fifth year of life of the fruiting tree, spring liquid dressing is carried out with infusion of chicken manure, which should be mixed with compost or peat at the rate of 0.4 kg per square meter of area according to the crown projection;
- fertilizers should be applied to special irrigation grooves, after which obligatory abundant irrigation measures and soil loosening in near-stem circles are carried out.
In cold summers, as well as in cloudy and light winds, apricot plantations can suffer from damage by moniliosis and klyasterosporiosis. To protect the fruit crop, it is necessary to carry out the treatment with copper chloride and the preparations "Topaz", "Topsin-M" and "Strobi". To rid the plants of the most common pests, spraying the plantings with Iskra, Decis, or Intavir, popular with gardeners, is carried out.
Tips and reviews of gardeners
According to numerous reviews by gardeners and summer residents, the apricot variety "Lel" is well adapted to the weather and soil conditions of the Moscow region and the territory of central Russia. As a rule, the most successful, in terms of apricot cultivation in the Moscow Region, is the southern, southeastern and southwestern directions.
Apricot called "Lel" has a compact size, which is very convenient not only in the industrial production of apricot, but also does not cause problems with maintenance of plantings and harvesting in summer cottages.
It should be remembered that even novice gardeners can cultivate apricots as a garden crop in the country, but in central Russia and in the Moscow region it is somewhat more difficult to do, since the southern and thermophilic plant is genetically accustomed to certain growing conditions.
How to plant apricot (video)
Variety "Lel" compares favorably with early maturity and self-fertility, it is characterized by gardeners as quite winter-hardy and cold-resistant, which makes it popular and in demand for cultivation in the conditions of home gardening. However, to obtain stable crops, it is necessary to strictly adhere to agricultural technology and not to neglect the basic rules for caring for a fruit crop.